Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Magnetic spoons and titanium sporks

I was at a restaurant the other day, and, as I often do at this particular establishment, was playing with the silverware. They polish/wax/whatever the tables very well, and you can, for example, spin the knives and even make the water glasses slide a little distance. I happened to notice that my knife stuck to my spoon. Since there was nothing sticky on either utensil, I concluded one of them was magnetic. A check against other silverware on the table revealed that it was the spoon that was magnetized. I was able to move the spoon around the table with other items of silverware, which easily kept my amused until our food arrived. I even demonstrated this for the waiter.

Yes, I'm easily amused sometimes.

A while back, I got an email from ThinkGeek announcing some new products, including Spock's Spork - a limited edition (1701 items) titanium spork with the USS Enterprise logo. I am too much of an original series trekkie to resist that, especially since I've felt that a titanium spork was something I'd enjoy having for a while now, just never got around to buying one.

I wonder if Spock would find a spork logical or illogical? Is the spork, perhaps, named for one of the partners in the famous lawfirm of Spock, Spilk, Spork and Rodenberry?

No comments: