Sunday, August 23, 2009

From the Cavalry Raid: Warren War

Last night I spent three hours in the car in order to attend a bardic competition at an event. I didn't do anything else at the event, mind you. I'm classifying this as a cavalry raid.

There were six entrants, and I made it to the final round. I turned in quite respectable performances in each of the five rounds, but in the final my opponent (Arundel or some such - sp?) knocked it out of the park. He deserved the win - though I'd have loved a chance to go best two out of three with him!

My entries:
1st round, theme "broken heart": The Roman Centurion's Song (poem by Kipling)
2nd round, theme "revenge": Black Jack's Lady (song by Heather Alexander)
3rd round, theme "air": converted to 'wind' and thus to 'winds of fortune', "Here me now..." from Man of la Mancha.
4th round, theme "witch": The Rising of the Wheat (story by me)
5th round, theme "ghost": The Phantom of the Opera (from musical of the same name)

After the bardic a group of us played around with AL Weber - a little bit of Cats, and a lot of Jesus Christ Superstar (turns out the just-became-champion had played Judas in a production...).

1 comment:

Chris said...

sounds like fun. I'm more than a little annoyed that I couldn't make it this year.