Sunday, October 30, 2011

Auto Work

OK, I give up, why does anything on a car cost so @%^^@#! much to do?

The parts are unreasonably expensive - AIRCRAFT PARTS often don't cost that much, and anything that flies gets a huge cost penalty from the fact that one must deal with the FAA. Trust me on this, that ain't cheap.

I used to assume that much of what had to be done must require extremely skilled technicians. Slowly I've ruled out most of the tasks however, and this weekend I ruled out body work requiring high skill/experience.

This weekend with a spray can of paint, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, a sanding pad, and a roll of paper towels I eliminated a score of minor scratches, scrapes, etc. in Lupae's paint job. You really can't tell the new from the old at a distance of more than a few feet anywhere, and in some cases I have a hard time spotting the new paint from an inch away.

I'm hardly what you'd call a spray-can master, so what's the deal?

Is there anything that gets done to a car that isn't a ripoff when done by professionals?

5 comments:

Elizabeth R said...

You probably are rather better with a spray can than most. Not to mention the prep. How much time did it take you?

Gridley said...

I doubt I'm any better with a spray can than average; my hand-eye coordination is certainly not above average in general.

Took me an hour or so, much of which was reading directions and grabbing supplies.

Elizabeth R said...

Hmm. Care to do some work on my car during your visit? :-)

Chris said...

Short answer, No there isn't.

Longer answer, anytime the pro prevents you from making a very costly mistake. But that's true for nearly everything.
Professionals cost money. Idiots cost more money, but the only time Pros save a competent amateur money is when they know a shortcut the amateur doesn't, or they know about a land mine the amateur doesn't.

Please remember that you, Roger, are highly competent.The way you approach life makes you that way. You tend to have a good grasp of what skills you possess, what skills you need, and you set about gaining them in a methodical manner. That is not common. Reading the directions? Also surprisingly uncommon. Thinking a task through to the end before beginning it? Extremely uncommon.

Gridley said...

Mom: sure, though remember Lupae may have been beginner's luck. :-}

Chris: thank you for the compliment, though I think you're giving me a little too much credit.

You also remind me of the old joke of the engineer who restarts the power plant by tapping one pipe with a hammer, for which he charges $10,000. Upon being asked to submit an itemized bill, he replies: "Hitting a pipe with a hammer: $1. Knowing where to hit it: $9,999."