Wednesday, June 27, 2012

From the Frontlines: Good Yule / Last Hunt

Note: Good Yule / Last Hunt took place December 3rd, 2011. Yeah, I'm THAT far behind.

After six years, basically the same period of time I’ve been in the Barony, Hauk and Rosamund stepped down as Baron and Baroness. I’m sad to see them go – I felt they were very good leaders for our Barony, and their stability stands in stark contrast to the King and Queen, where we get a new one every six months. That makes it hard for me to connect with them or feel any real loyalty; I’ve gone entire reigns without even seeing the King or Queen. Luckily at the same event they were made Court Baron and Baroness by Their Majesties, so I can keep calling them “Your Excellency”.

It is an interesting insight into feudalism; my first loyalty is to Aquaterra, though I certainly consider myself a citizen of An Tir as a whole. The reverse is true of my mundane loyalties; despite being a fanatical constitutionalist, and thus highly supportive of the independent roles of the state and local governments, my first loyalty is to the United States as a whole, not Washington State and certainly not Snohomish County or the town of Lake Stevens. But in the SCA, even when I compete for An Tir against the West or some other kingdom, I’m still highly conscious that I’m doing so as a representative of Aquaterra.

I helped make a presentation to the new Baron and Baroness on behalf of the moneyers guild; scattering our off-strikes to the crowd while Raymond presented the good ones to Their Excellencies (a special minting for their ascension, many of which I’d helped strike earlier in the event).

Somewhat to my chagrin, I was awarded the Order of the Plate (the Barony’s first level Arts and Sciences award). Chagrin, because they first tried to find me to present it to in June! Apparently I’ve missed quite a few courts.

2 comments:

Elizabeth R said...

Interesting. I have rather a high loyalty to The Hill neighborhood, much less loyalty to St Louis City, almost none to Missouri, and high loyalty to the United States. There must be a logic there somewhere...

Gridley said...

At a guess, it is because you're fairly integrated with your local neighborhood, whereas I'm not.