Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Turkish Coffee!

So, as many people know, I don't like ordinary coffee. I find the smell pleasant, but the taste poor. I've tried adding sugar, I've tried adding cream; it isn't worth it until I've added so much that all I taste is cream and sugar. I like coffee ice cream, coffee-flavored things like mocha... just not an ordinary cup of coffee.

However, I discovered fairly recently that I do like Turkish coffee. Sadly, your average coffee machine just can't handle Turkish coffee. Your average grinder can't even get the beans fine enough.

So, up until this weekend, I owned no equipment for making coffee except an ibrik (I think that's the correct term - little copper cup with a wooden handle) a friend got for me.

While browsing through Williams Sonoma, imagine my surprise at finding a grinder that had a setting past espresso - Turkish! One rather expensive purchase, some time grinding beans, and two experimental cups later I succeeded in making a cup of Turkish coffee in my very own home, from scratch.

I forsee increased caffeine in my future.

No comments: