Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Man's Home is His Castle

I took a class in armed home defense on Sunday.

I picked up some good tips, and got in some very good practice shooting. However, either my arms are too weak or my pistol is too heavy for sustained one-hand shooting. :-(

This was the first time I'd done shooting in the dark (both blind and aided by flashlight). I've always known intellectually how much difference having your sights a little bit off means even a few yards away, but this really brought it home to me. In the dark, unless you have night sights, you WILL miss a lot of your shots, even with good technique otherwise. If you can perfect your stance and hand position you can still be fairly effective, but then there's the fact that if you're shooting in the dark you've probably got other factors stressing you out and reducing your base effectiveness.

No comments: