Thursday, February 25, 2010

First Aid

Yesterday I recertified for Red Cross Standard First Aid, CPR, and AED.

The only thing I learned was that the current recommended compression/respiration cycle for single-rescuer CPR is 30:2. Since I was really only taking the class for the card anyway, this isn't really surprising. What was surprising is that the ARC CPR class has dispensed with landmarks for hand placement for chest compressions; something that I discovered is built into my muscle memory at this point. According to the instructor they did so in '06. I had no trouble adjusting to the compression ratio, possibly because that seems to change every few years (I've learned 15:2, 10:2, and 10:1 in addition to the current 30:2).

The class did serve to hammer home just how little understood paramedic training and capabilities are, even by the ARC instructors. Specifically, paramedics are underestimated almost across the board. I also had a LOT more real-world experience than the instructor; she'd never even done CPR for real and wasn't sure how to answer some of the class questions (including the classic "will this break ribs?").

I also automatically and immediately answered the question of "What is shock?" with "inadequate tissue perfusion," which resulted in a short silence, and then "perhaps a less technical answer?"

None of this is to say that the ARC doesn't teach a fine First Aid/CPR/AED class; I recommend it highly for people with no training. If I'm going to join the SCA Chiurgeonate I need to know and limit myself to that level... which clearly is going to be a challenge. :-(

No comments: