Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My 2nd 1st Flight

Monday I watched my second first flight.

Yes, I love the apparent contradiction. :-)

The 747-8 is the newest minor model of the 747, with new engines, a new wing, upgraded avionics, a stretched fuselage... we did just about everything we could to that plane and have it still be a 747.

I decided to watch first flight on live webcast, rather than in person, since I'd only been on the program seven months. This proved to be a wise decision as the flight was delayed over two and a half hours by weather. By my watch the plane rotated at 12:37, lifting off to vanish almost immediately into the mist.

The flight was a success, adding yet another face to the Queen of the Skies.

1 comment:

Elizabeth R said...

There's an interesting article on it at wired.com