Wednesday, April 7, 2010

From the Frontlines: Champions Part III

Champions was fairly well attended this year, with over 100 people through gate and about 30 competitors total. Sadly only two of us were up for Bardic, however milord Kenneniah gave me quite a good run; after our performances I figured it was 50/50 between us. He performed two period songs, one on recorder and one vocal and mandolin.

For my pieces, I added a bit of theater. I had brought a period-ish box in which were three bags of Hershey's Nuggets - one in gold wrappers, one in silver, and one in red. I used these as 'visual aids', presenting one of each type to each judge, and passing them around for the audience. :-)

Sadly, due to my cold I hadn't been able to rehearse much at all, and I wasn't confident enough to go off book (I only needed to look down a few times, but it was just as well that I didn't try to go off book). Luckily Melody/Samira/Amethyst was able to loan me a cloth-covered binder to stick my notes in. The cold also limited my projection and volume, while the book denied me some of my gestures. Still, I was satisfied with my performance and I was able to do a good job with the judges Q&A.

No comments: