Friday, July 2, 2010

Were you in the (Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines)?

No, I'm not, and I never was. Nor am I in the National Guard, or the Reserves. In fact, the only time I've worn a federal uniform was as a reservist with the US Public Health Service.

I get asked that question quite often, however (including today). I also frequently get puzzled looks from people who are in the military and know I'm not. Apparently citing Mahan from memory is unusual in the general population.

My grandfather was in the Navy. My father was in the Army. My best friend for some years was in the Army. I hung out with some of the NROTC midshipmen at C-MU for several years, not to mention the occasional AFROTC cadet. I have at one time or another hung out with active or reserve members of every branch of the US uniformed services (yes, that includes some oddballs). I've been interviewed by an agent of the US Air Force. I've worked on a DARPA project. I've been aboard half a dozen commissioned US warships and another half dozen former warships, plus the warships of two other nations. I have spent time on active US Navy, US Air Force, and US Army bases. I've participated in a US Air Force drill. I have actively researched a great deal of open-source data on US military equipment, procedures, tactics, and so forth, and have from time to time seen data that was not open-source at the time. I grew up playing wargames - the more realistic and detailed, the better. My high-school yearbook page had a picture of me playing Harpoon. I own a copy of Jane's Fighting Ships (1988-1989). I have read scores of books about or relating to the military and military history, not counting history textbooks. In high school I taught one of my history classes for three days at the teacher's request. I persuaded the mock national convention in high school to fund a new class of battleships as part of our party platform. I own several US Army official publications. I have basic proficiency with several US military-style civilian firearms.

Growing up, I wanted to be a US Navy Surface Warfare Officer. My eyes weren't good enough, but I'm confident that I was prepared in every other physical, mental, and emotional way.

After 9/11, I seriously contemplated joining the Army; leaving college in order to do so. I was persuaded to complete my degree first, and by the time I did my life was on a different path.

In short, I have spent most of my life on the fringes of the military but never part of it. Is that so unusual?

No comments: