Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Healthy but Scary

I did a wellness screening today, and added a third person to the list of health professionals I've freaked out with a low medical stat (cholesterol of 110 in this case).

I'm apparently healthy.

The nurses had a machine I hadn't seen before - a portable blood analysis machine about the size of a toaster. It computed my cholesterol and blood glucose levels in about five minutes from just a few drops of blood. I asked the tech who was supporting the machines about it, and apparently they can't do anything like white count or electrolytes yet, but they can do a 3-month glucose level from a single sample. (!)

I also used another new machine that computed my body fat and BMI just by holding it in my hands, arms extended. Apparently that one works by conduction analysis or some such.

The wonders of modern medicine...

No comments: