Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It followed me home - can I keep it?

[Publisher's note: The addition of Kaltrax to the party has confused many. Gridley was no paladin, of course, but it is unusual to find a generally evil creature in such company.]

Perhaps it was the disease, or the fighting, or the lack of the Sun's Light to warm us, I know not. What I do know is that all of my companions and I fell into a deep sleep.

And we dreamed.

I dreamed that the Sun was above me, its light filling me and spilling over into each of my companions. The light pulsed strongly about Marclar in particular.

I awoke to find myself stronger, and when I prayed to the Shining One I recieved additional spells. This, while gratifying, was hardly surprising. The rest of the party also seemed stronger.

Seeing Kaltrax free of his bonds and curled up under Marclar's arm, contentedly asleep, was rather more surprising. I have taken this as divine intervention; I hope I am judging correctly.

We set out once again, and immediately encountered another pit trap. Thistle was caught on the far side as a squad of goblins attacked, badly wounding her. While Baast hurried down into the pit and up the far side, I fired off a pair of Magic Stones, killing two goblins, one of them already injured. Concerned for Thistle I urged Yasir to take a tricky bow show past me; an unwise move, as it turned out. The arrow, luckily, caused me only a minor wound. Thistle retreated, and Baast quickly finished off the rest of the goblins.

We moved on again, and discovered a cell with four prisoners; three kobolds and a gnome. Meepo freed the kobolds, telling them he was their new leader, and we his followers. Thistle and I let this pass unchallenged, more amused than upset. The gnome reported he had been captured some time ago, and claimed to be a cleric of Garl Glittergold. As he still had his holy symbol, we have taken him at his word.

We at last reached the gaurded entrance to the goblin portion of the citadel. Another goblin squad was startled and found themselves in close combat with Baast, much to their short-lived sorrow. The defenders were quickly defeated, but we could hear more coming, and conducted a fighting retreat to the kobold zone.

On the whole, our raid has been quite successful. We have the dragon we came for, though parting with him as planned will be rather difficult, as he has bonded very stronly with Marclar. We have killed over a dozen goblins, rescued four prisoners, and gained in strength and knowledge.

Of course, we as yet have found no sign of the prisoners we were originally sent to find. May the Sun light our way to them.

No comments: