Friday, April 17, 2009

Non-cardiac chest pain

OK, first off, my doctor has concluded that there is no reason to believe anything is wrong with my heart.

That said, Wednesday I went to the clinic at work with chest pain, elevated blood pressure, and shortness of breath.

I've now had my first 12-lead EKG (as the patient - I can't count how many I've administered but it is certainly at least in the hundreds), and my first X-ray in roughly two decades.

My medic-sense told me that it probably wasn't cardiac... but my internal medic also told me that it would be very stupid to assume that, especially given that my father died of a heart attack at a not particularly old age.

The CP is mostly gone now (my doc thinks it was an infection that spread to the chest; makes sense to me), and my BP has returned to normal.

Why an elevated BP and SOB? Well... I'm going to make a wild guess... stress at work. This week my lead is back after 3 weeks vacation and it seems that nothing I did while he was gone meets with his approval.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.

No comments: