Monday, April 20, 2009

The surest sign...

...of intelligent life in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

So, at least, Calvin and Hobbes say. For a six-year-old child, Calvin can be pretty smart sometimes.

But one former astronaut (and who would know better?) claims that we have been visited by extra-terrestrial intelligence(s).

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/04/20/ufo.conference/index.html

Edgar Mitchell is a little bit "out there" himself; and I'm not talking about the whole walking on the moon thing (he was #6 of the twelve people who've walked on another celestial body). Still, I hate to criticize a prominent C-MU alum too much; we don't have many to spare. :-}

Is there other intelligent life in the universe? From a purely statistical point of view I'm sure there is, though I certainly can't prove any of it even knows of our existance, much less has visited Terra within the life of the human race. I tend to side on the "our government isn't competent enough to keep it covered up" side of things, however.

What do you think?

Oh - it was a busy weeked, but I'll post more when I have a chance to upload pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The surest sign...
...of intelligent life in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

I totally agree with this :)

JS

Gridley said...

I picture a giant blockade around the Sol system, absorbing RF emissions and space probes, and periodically warning approaching ships: WARNING! You do NOT want these people to take you to their leaders!!!