Monday, September 21, 2009

Dog Show

Saturday I went to a dog show for the first time.

Amusement: it was held in a venue that had a sign at the main gate clearly noting "No dogs allowed (except service animals)."

There is a really amazing variety of dogs in the world. Tiny little puppies you can pick up with one hand, huge things that look more like a small horse, fluffy, short-haired, smart looking, dumb looking...

I spent some quality time with a pair of american eskimo dogs named Cora and Gandalf. I got a very good vibe about the eski breed.

A somewhat desparate keeshound owner roped me in to show one of her dogs - she had two and the handler she'd planned to have show the other one was delayed. So at my first dog show with no clue what I was doing I led the dog around the ring. Luckily the judges are looking at the dog not the handler - the dog got a ribbon. :-)

I am planning to get a dog before the end of the year. Mostly for companionship, and partly as a watchdog (not a guard dog - I just want an alarm system).

No comments: