Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dream - NOT my usual type

I've spent a lot of time wondering if I should post this at all, but somehow I feel compelled to.

WARNING: this is probably about a hard PG-13 rating at least and includes descriptions of disturbing events of a sexual nature. It was NOT a happy dream.

I had a dream the night before last. I was an employee (male) in a brothel. About a dozen of us were in a room with two rows of beds - I was on a bed in one corner. Clients arrived, and the one who came to me was highly upset to find that I was a guy (I think everyone else in the room was a female and that's what he had been expecting). A bouncer came in when the guy started yelling and the client grabbed him - I persuaded the client to let him go, that he could have first pick of the girls next round.

The girl next to me - to my right - was new, and very nervous. She seemed reluctant and scared, but willing or at least accepting; I'm not sure why. Her client was also a little unsure - I got the impression that he hadn't done this before (paid for sex at least, had sex at all...?). She undressed on the bed, clearly trying to follow some sort of guidelines on how to behave, but not sure about the details. Part way through I held her hand (the beds were very close together), which seemed to help her get through it, though it made her undressing even more awkward. I felt very sorry for her, and wished I could do more. The client, ah, lay down with her (the dream was somewhat graphic), and she kept holding my hand; I could feel her squeezing it. She was in some pain, but I could tell that holding my hand made it a little easier for her. After a while of this the clients' time was up, and they left. I asked her something - I can't remember the exact question now, but I was gently asking her if she was OK, if it would help her to talk to me about it. I felt that she had been raped, even though she hadn't objected.

The scene shifted - I was still a brothel employee (same place), but now I was on duty greeting clients and matching them up with employees. It seems less important that I describe this part in detail. Suffice to say that it seemed I was a junior and relatively powerless employee trying to do the best I could do avoid trouble and make life a little better for the other employees. They, in turn, liked and appreciated me, despite being somewhat under my orders and in a much worse situation than I was. The place I was in (the name was repeated in the dream, but I can't remember it now) was considered a high quality brothel, and often catered to very rich and/or powerful clients, one of whom brought several bodyguards with him and wasn't above threatening my life.

Well, that's what I feel I needed to say. I don't know why I felt so strongly compelled to write about this and publish it - this is NOT the sort of thing I'd consider putting up on any blog in normal circumstances.

In most of my dreams I'm somewhat powerless - unable to speak, walk, etc. Most of the time I don't remember them in any detail - nothing close to the detail I wrote here, which in turn is only the outline of what I remembered of this dream. I've had several 'erotic' dreams in the past, but none of them were ANYTHING like this.

To anyone who's made it this far, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, no matter what they may be.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Would you agree with this statment?
Just because you agree to something doesn't mean you weren't forced into it.

Gridley said...

I completely agree.

The dream was more a perception mismatch; the impression I (non-dream me) was left with was that the employee hadn't felt forced into it - or perhaps it would be better to say hadn't felt that there was a choice to be made. My in-dream self did feel she had been forced, although also not feeling that there had been a choice.

Toni said...

My only comment on this is that you might like to read a novel called "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers - I just read it over vacation. It is a retelling of the book of Hosea (you know, God asks a guy to marry a prostitute to be symbolic of God's relationship to Israel, the prostitute keeps leaving the marriage and returning to prostitution, God keeps telling Hosea to win her back)

I thought it was quite powerful and touching.