Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Winery Wedding

This weekend I attended a wedding at a winery in Ohio. I've been to many weddings, and I'm no stranger to Ohio, but this was the first time I was ever at a winery.

The wedding (and socializing with other friends in town for the wedding) was fun. I danced, drank, and swapped stories with a number of good people. As weddings go, this one was very short - just 15 minutes from beginning to end.

I was swept up into the group that pranked the newlyweds car - putting over 100 baloons in it, attaching a pair of handcuffs to the steering wheel, and scattering various other items throughout, in addition to the inevitable window markings and beer cans tied to the trailer hitch. I tried to be the voice of moderation. In any case the bride seemed rather amused at the pranking (it has been something of a tradition in this group of people), so all's well that ends well.

The dinner after the wedding was also at the winery. There were about 70-80 guests invited (quick guesstimate is that about 90% showed up), about 65 bottles of wine of about a dozen different varieties (no, I am NOT kidding), and about 150 freshly-made cupcakes (in place of wedding cake). I drank quite a bit of wine and not enough water, which may have contributed to some of the more energetic dancing I did. :-)

Should anyone ever be near Cleveland and interested in wine, I recommend the Buccia Winery, http://www.bucciavineyard.com/ . Try their Candlelight wine if you get the chance.

Flying Southwest Airlines to and from continues to make me appreciate them. Free-form boarding may not be for everyone, but I really like the way some of the attendants spice up the announcements. "We never anticipate a loss of cabin pressure. If we did, we wouldn't have showed up to work today... if you are seated with a child or someone acting like a child..." I still don't take the safety briefing seriously, but they do make me pay attention.

No comments: