Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dance!


Saturday I belly danced in public for the first time.

"Belly danced? Aren't you a guy?"

Yes, and yes. Belly dance is a broad form of dance that is not limited to the cabaret-style most people think of. In my case, I'm dancing with a sword, demonstrating balance and control of it while moving to the music. :-)

The photo probably conveys a better idea than words will.

I was somewhat nervous going in, but it went quite well (I didn't drop my sword!), and I got a few compliments afterward. I'm glad it was a small audience - that made it easier to focus on my routine. The trip to Ellensburg, WA was long, but the conversation along the way was interesting.

The troop I am part of is called "Emerald Rain". Eight of us (seven women, including the instructor) went to Ellensburg to perform.

No comments: