Wednesday, August 11, 2010

From the Frontlines: Midhaven Champions

July 31st was the Shire of Midhaven Champion's tourney. I entered in rapier and bardic, and won neither. Handing over the bardic champion's regalia was a little sad, but I wouldn't have had it any other way if I'd been the judge.

I also got one of the highest compliments a bard can get - the winner performed one of my songs! The new An Tir warsong I wrote for Aquaterra's Championship early this year, in fact.

It appears that the Bards of Key Point and I will be dueling for quite some time to come. I'm looking forward to it. :-)

After the bardic competition (single entry - mine was 'Life's Flame' with a few guitar chords and notes that I'd managed to learn for it), we did a bardic circle. Among other pieces, I improvised an ode to chocolate in its many forms. Last night I was told that my bardic abilities impressed another bard enough that they sought out my bellydance teacher (thinking she was also my bardic teacher), and spoke to her at length about how good I was. :-)

Overall it was fun, and I'll be back next year for sure.

3 comments:

Elizabeth R said...

Would you publish some of your work here? I'd love to see the ode to chocolate. :-D

Gridley said...

Sadly as that was an improv piece, it is more or less a one-shot unless someone was taking shorthand or had a tape recorder running.

If you haven't already, take a look at the 14 piece under the 'original work' tag.

Elizabeth R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.