Thursday, May 10, 2007

Moving and not moving

Last week my group were moved to new desks at work - six whole rows over from our old ones. This is the second time I've moved in less than two years. Apparently this is not abnormal. And people wonder why I don't get business cards...

If anyone ever wishes to fall off their chair laughing, I recommend the episode "Turkeys Away" from season one of "WKRP".

I hate being away from my friends. I feel completely out of touch, but I'm terrible at phone calls. I pretty much always have been. Maybe its my less-than-ideal hearing, maybe its the inability to see faces but the ability to hear tones of voice. I enjoy chat, because you can examine someone's words carefully if you feel the need. I enjoy face to face, because you can tell a lot from body language and expression. I don't do well at voice-only because you need to respond immediately but you can't SEE them.

Is my life still in a holding pattern? Am I just moving more slowly than the norm? Or is the norm an illusion? I took six and a half years to get a four-year degree. It was another year and a half before I got a real engineering job (US Tool and Die didn't count - time in purgatory may be useful if the catholics are right and also if I'm not headed straight for hell anyway, but does little for professional advancement). Now I'm under a chaotic group lead, a novice manager, and on a program that has ten conflicting processes for everything we do. Some people would see this as an opportunity to show bold leadership, and in fact one person I know here who has even less experiance than I do is doing just that. Is there something wrong with me that it just feels like I'm marking time until either my lead gets transferred or I do?

If life is a river, am I so lost that I'm swimming against the current?

No comments: