Monday, June 25, 2007

I see hyperactivity in your future

Saturday night I had my fortune read in coffee grounds.

I got a cup of greek coffee at a restaurant - normally I don't drink coffee, but if it is strong enough and sweet enough I have a cup now and then. This is the type with the grounds left in - you let them settle to the bottom and sip from the top. When you're done, of course, you have a sludge at the bottom.

As directed by my dinner companions, I turned the cup over in the saucer, turned it in a circle, and let it drain. The cup was then flipped right-side up again and the tracks the grounds left on the sides examined.

Things that both I and others saw included a scottie dog, a rose, a chinese-style dragon, and a lion rampant. Others also said they saw a phoenix, a castle on fire, halley's comet (just repeating what was said...), an arrow (pointing up, I sortof saw that one), and a large letter "s". It was proposed that the "s" might stand for either sex or superman. I declined to comment on that point.

The symbolism of the rose is probably obvious, a chinese dragon usually indicates good luck, and the scottie dog is the unofficial mascot of C-MU. A lion rampant appears on the arms of An Tir, the SCA kingdom I live in. I really wish I had been able to make out the phoenix - that's a creature with some special meaning for me.

All in all, I don't think I have much of a future in divination.

And I really didn't think of the pun when I wrote that last sentance.

2 comments:

Raising Them Jewish said...

First I must clarify. It's CMU without a dash if you must use the non-offical acronym. However the Scottie Dog is now the offical mascot. DOn't ask me, I don't like it. GO TARTANS!

As far as divination...Dolores Umbridge agrees!

Gridley said...

I just find it amusing to put a dash in an acronym. :-)

I had forgotten that the scottie dog was now official. Sigh. :-(

Dolores Umbridge, however, doesn't have jurisdiction over me. I report to the US Department of Magic, not those silly Brits!

-Roger Gridley, Founding Member of the Company of Tebo