Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why is being bisexual so hard to understand?

OK, this is driven off repeated watchings of Grey's Anatomy, last season and this season.

Callie, you're bi. You're not heterosexual, you're not homosexual, you're bi. You like both guys and girls. In a way, you'd think this would be easier to accept than finding you're a lesbian after obviously enjoying the... company... of men for most of your life.

Is there some social stigmata about being bi that I'm unaware of? I've known more girls who were bi than lesbian (with the guys I've known it's been the other way around, at least as far as my knowledge goes, I admit). I've dated a girl who was bi, which was interesting when we both were interested in the same girl. :-} (If you're reading this, though I don't think you are, this is the closest I've ever come to telling someone who wasn't the three of us about it.)

I've heard people suggest that most women are actually at least a little bi (at the "boys for fun, girls for comfort" level), and given that there's still some social pressure against being anything but heterosexual I'd imagine any survey to under report the actual numbers.

Still, is this a mental block on Callie's part? The writers? Or am I, for once, more in touch with sexual reality than the public consciousness?

Please, someone, tell me what you think here.

Oh, to answer the probably inevitable questions reader(s) might have, I am to the best of my knowledge heterosexual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any of this show, but a great deal of plot in any show is tied up in people not being able to see or accept the perfectly obvious solution. If they did, there wouldn't be a show, or at least, there wouldn't be any character. Stupidity in all it's forms starts a lot of plots.
Related idea. The writers bible states that she has this issue, so the writers are required to let her twist in the wind each episode, as it's one of her defining characteristics. It can only be resolved during sweeps week, or a the final season.

On to your social stigma question.
The worst attacks against bisexuals I have heard is lumping them in with whatever group the speaker disliked(straight or gay) or accusing them of being undiscriminating in their choice of bed-partners. So no, no real stigmata due to being Bi. At least, not any stronger than that attached to being gay, black, redhead, young, Canadian, or any other group someone feels like singling out for some reason.

Gridley said...

To your first hypothesis: yeah, you're almost certainly right that's the real-world explanation, but I have this bad habit of looking for in-show-world explanations as well. And it isn't just Callie who has this hangup - several others seem unable to grasp the idea of being sexually attracted to members of both genders.