Monday, January 26, 2009

From the Frontlines: Ursulmas XXVII

Ursulmas is a nice event for my because I live about 15 minutes from the site - talk about the ideal day trip!

For the first time I spent some effort helping out with the running of this event. Mostly I was just a go-fer, but I also spent about four hours collecting Gods only know how much money at Gate and two hours marshaling for rapier, along with a good twelve hours go-fer-ing. Add in a tournament I actually fought in (5 wins out of 11 fights, and with her permission I killed the Queen Inge (sp?) of An Tir!), some shopping (bought a hip flask with a wolf's-head pattern sand blasted onto it and a hook to hang my buckler from my gear), and general mayhem and it was quite a weekend!

I have a few regrets; due to my time at Gate I missed the Sable Rose Tourney (and I had a great death planned, too - perhaps next time). I also wish I could have followed through on the prep activities I said I'd help with; the Autocrat seems to have forgiven me (staying to the end Sunday probably helped), but I'm resolved to do a better job next time.

I'm going to address killing the Queen a little more; our Queen is a (fairly junior) rapier fighter, and fought in the Bear Claw Tourney (the one I fought in) as well as a few others. Before each tourney she informed the assembled fighters that they had her permission to try to kill her. My impression of the SCA is that a king is expected to look after himself more or less (although plenty of fighters are happy to cover his flanks on the war field), but going for a queen tends to mean belted knights jump out of the woodwork to pound you into the dirt. I was thus rather relieved that her majesty gave us leave; I'm not sure I would have felt right fighting her otherwise.

And it is really fun to say that I killed the Queen with her permission. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Their Royal Majesties of An Tir Vik Vikingsson and Inga the Unfettered.
I believe that you need permission to kill your king too. You see, in both cases you're attacking the ones you have sworn to protect and uphold, and that is generally seen as unchivalric if you don't have permission.(not historically inaccurate, just unchivalric).
Now killing someone else's king or queen, that just fine.

By the by, thank you for your help and support with rapier. when my brain is draining out my ears, it's good to have someone to pour it back in.

Gridley said...

I was thinking of, say, if the King showed up to Boar's Hunt and fought in melee, I wouldn't think it would be a problem for people to try to kill him even though virtually all of them would be his subjects.

You're more than welcome for the help - and well done again!