Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Willpower

Twice on TV shows recently I've seen a woman stripping to try to seduce a man who didn't want to be seduced. In one case it worked, in one it didn't.

This brings up the question of willpower. This is mostly a question for guys - at what point would your determination not to have sex with an aquintance/friend crack if they were undressing in front of you in an attempt to get you into bed? Or do you have sufficient willpower (or a low enough sex drive) that you could say "no"?

I seem to recall the line "sex may not be the answer, but it raises some pretty good questions." This issue raises many questions that I'm not sure how to ask.

The social trappings of sex make life very complicated, don't they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have huge reserves of willpower. I can be seduced, probably pretty easily. That being said, the amount of clothes dropping off the lady does not factor in very much. If I'm attracted to someone, I'm probably attracted to them with or without clothes on. If someone wished to seduce me, they would succeed or fail long before they got to the removing clothes stage. If that was their opening salvo, the first thing they did to get into bed with me, it would have low chance of success. It would tend not to work simply because nobody walks up to someone they don't know and strips for sex without something weird going on, and so I would be too suspicious for the seduction to work. If it was their last desperate attempt to seduce me, well... I must have had really good reasons for rejecting the person in question, and I've seen naked people before. It just will not make that much difference. I suppose that if I was given a bargain that I ordinarily wouldn't touch, such as "we can do this, but it has to be a secret" by someone I was really sexually attracted to, the person feeding me this line being naked MIGHT make a difference. But I would hope not.
Of course, I have arranged my thinking is such a way that I don't think it's wrong for two people who want to have sex with each other to do so. I recognise that my position is NOT the standard.

Off the top of my head, the definition of "seduce" is "to convince someone of something through non-logical means". does that match your definition?