Monday, April 30, 2007

Golden Ribbon

Saturday I went to an SCA event. In addition to the regular rapier tournament (I won 4 fights out of 15, but the four I killed were all cadets!) I was chosen to carry the Golden Ribbon for the next six months.

What, you ask, is the Golden Ribbon? Well, it seems a few years back there was a rapier fighter who was upset that his inspiration was in surgery and thus unable to come to an event. In her honor he offered to face all comers until he was exhuasted or the sun set.

Today, the holder of the Golden Ribbon ties it around the hilt of their rapier for roughly six months. At the end of that time they offer to face all comers at an event, holding the field regardless of victory or defeat, until they can't fight any more. They then present the ribbon to the challenger who showed the best spirit. I was quite surprised to be picked. It was an exhausting but highly fun and rewarding fight, and I look forward to holding my own in six months.

Also at the event was a bardic circle (I sang about King Rorik), and a fire dancing demonstration (fire breathing, dancing with flaming swords, fighting with flaming swords, juggling torches, etc.).

No comments: