Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Letting people in

Monday night I had a conversation I should have had a long time ago. I'm not sure exactly what let me finally start that conversation - probably equal parts frustration, alcohol, and hope. I'd gone to the beach that morning, and something about the ocean always affects me. It isn't always the same effect, but this time it gave me strength to risk opening up.

Afterwards I felt both relieved - one of the reasons I'd held off so long was that I was afraid it would push someone out of my life, and it doesn't seem to have done that - and sad.

How do you know when it is time to let someone deeper into your life? I've gone almost nine years without there being someone in my life I could tell anything, absolutely anything, to. Is that normal? Do most people have someone they can tell anything to?

Well, it is done now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a good, necessary conversation. One which both parties have been walking around for some time.

Sad...? You didn't loose anything.

I'm not sure when you let someone in...I have only one or two, but to be honest I may have lied to you. There used to be someone, but again I find myself hiding things I want to say, and do. At this point in my life, there can't be anyone. Things change to quickly...

but- be happy. I commented, I'm here.

Gridley said...

Yeah, I could have started that conversation years ago. Of course, that might not have been the best thing to do at that point.

As for the sadness, I never said my emotions had logical foundations. :-}

While I will understand if you don't want to take advantage of it, I will reiterate my offer - you can tell me anything you want, and I promise not to turn away.

Thank you for finally posting!

Unknown said...

Letting people in is scary. *hugs*

I'm working on doing that right now :)

Gridley said...

Yay for electronic hugs!

*returns hug*