Monday, April 23, 2007

What the...?

Today at a workshop we got box lunches. These typically include some sort of sandwich, a bag of chips, a cookie, and a piece of fruit. So I open my lunch, and find that instead of the typical apple or banana, I have "Apple Sweets Natural Apple Slices (Wild Berry Flavor)."

Now, in the first place, why go to the effort of slicing an apple and putting it in a sealed plastic bag? In the second, how is 'wild berry flavor' added to an apple 'natural'? Or are there some unnatural apples out there I should be worried about?

The bag also notes that it should be kept refrigerated, and is best if used by April 26th, 2007. There's a set of notes that include a website (www.applesweets.com), and explain how the slices are bathed in vitamin C and calcium to 'lock in the freshness'. You know, the apple's skin is often considered to do a good job of that. And those slices taste like no fresh apple I've ever encountered. The change wasn't a beneficial one, IMO, either.

I continue to be amazed at the ability of the human race to take good, simple things and add needless and often harmful complications.

No comments: