Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mindfield

I wrote this about four years ago.
I've been accused of only writing depressing poetry. That's not true. However, 99% of the good poetry I write is depressing, and I don't tend to keep the rest. A friend of mine who used to look at most of the things I wrote while I knew her commented that it almost seemed like the more depressed I was, the better I got. Perhaps it is good, then, that I haven't written anything new in a while. :-)

Mindfield

Tread softly - not for yourself.
You walk unknowing - uncaring?
I see around you the dangers.
Patches ready to erupt in pain.

You dart to and fro.
I can not warn you.
Any moment any moment.
Any place you step.

Darkness comes to this place.
The patches fade before me.
Not fast enough. A step, a word.
Pain. Searing remembrance.

An uncaring step strikes a wire.
The connection is made.
No time to scream.
The past is coming.

No comments: