Thursday, July 5, 2007

1776

A belated happy 4th of July to everyone!

As is my tradition, I watched "1776" last night. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it - it is a musical historical drama about the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

I've practically got the show memorized by now. Every time I go through it, I wish I could get a chance to play a different part in a stage production of it. In addition to the obvious draw of being John Adams, I've wanted to be John Dickinson, James Wilson, John Hancock, the Courier, Stephen Hopkins, Charles Thomson (the Secretary), Dr. Lyman Hall, and Lewis Morris. In most cases there's a particular scene or moment that I think it absolutely brilliant and that I'm capable of pulling off (if I thought I could pull off "Molasses to Rum to Slaves" I'd LOVE to play Rutledge; but that scene is, IMO, the reason that when casting the show you should give the best actor available the part of Rutledge).

The moment/scene/song I'd like to do for each:
John Adams signing "Is anybody there?" and the scenes with Abigail.
John Dickinson walking out of congress to join the army.
James Wilson explaining why he's going to vote yea on the Virginia Resolution (after carefully hiding in the background for the entire show).
John Hancock explaining his vote for unanimity on independence.
The Courier signing "Momma, hey momma." Plus, how can you resist a part where every time you come on stage you look worse than the last time, and in only one scene do you say a single word despite half a dozen appearances?
Stephen Hopkins meeting Hall.
Charles Thomson reading Washington's dispatches, particularly "Is anybody there?"
Dr. Lyman Hall for two moments: "The people are against it and I'm for it," and "Yes, Mr. Adams. I do."
Lewis Morris: "To hell with New York, I'll sign it anyway."

No comments: