Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Perfect End to a Perfect Week

Well, the week hadn't been great - all alone here in the apartment (my cat is at the vet), even more insanity and work destroyed than usual at work, and being sick with the cold/flu/whatever.

Then, yesterday evening, my eye started tearing up for no aparent reason. I thought it was a side effect of the congestion and nose-blowing I'm STILL doing, but, no. I took a look at it, and made a guess. Granted, being very glass-half-empty about it, but...

Well, today I went into the clinic, and I may have been glass-half-empty but I was also right.

I have pink eye in my left eye.

I got a perscription for antibiotic eye drops, and it should be fine within a few days (always assuming I can keep one of the most contagious infections around from spreading to my right eye).

Still. Pink eye. I've never even gotten this before. I managed to spend SEVEN YEARS hanging around C-MU's campus. I spent SEVEN YEARS as a medic. And I never got it. But now? When I'm supposed to be working 45% overtime? NOW I get it. NOW I get to sit in my apartment, with miniatures that I can't concentrate enough to paint. I can't have people over because I'll spend all my time worrying I'll give it to them, because it is, as the doctor kept reminding me, HIGHLY INFECTIOUS.

I vented to my mother when she called today. I've lost control that badly.

I'm bleeding each time I blow my nose.

I'm bleeding.

All bleeding stops eventually.

2 comments:

Raising Them Jewish said...

WOW...okay. step one: Breathe In. step two: breathe out. Step Three: repeat.

Not really sure what to say...

But I am sure that CMU's acronym is not C-MU. The dash was removed before 2000. Just saying....

Gridley said...

It is more of an in-joke, really; dates back to 1997 when Central Michigan University sued Carnegie Mellon for using "CMU" on things... but we got to keep the domain name, so who cares about anything else?