Monday, September 15, 2008

From the Frontlines: Warren War X

Well, after that last post, the Dow's 500 point nose dive, and a frustrating day at work I'm having a hard time writing about this weekend.

However, it was great while I was living it, so I'm going to do a brief recap. Warren War occurs as Aquaterra and her allies attempt to resist and invasion from Canada, notably the Barony of Lion's Gate.

Rapier included a field battle (point to the northerners), a sheep-stealing battle (5 sheep in neutral territory, hold 3 after 20 minutes for a time-limit victory of capture all 5 for an immediate victory; Aquaterra managed an outright victory after 10 minutes), and a trail battle (narrow front with one sheep per side to defend, point to Aquaterra). Apparently the Aquaterrans really wanted mutton for dinner. :-) The overall Rapier War Point thus went to Aquaterra.

The Bardic championship was fun as usual, though my performance was rather dissapointing. Despite a stirring rendition of King Rorik the Brave, the first round was single elimination and I lost to a truly excellend poem filking Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven with the subject of Baldur's Gate, performed (and I think written) by Nicholas Forester. I made a brief appearance as a buy Bard, and got to tell the story I crafted for this event: The Rising of the Wheat. I'll post a rough draft version later in the week if I'm more in the mood. On the plus side, the bardic champion was one I bribed at the start of the contest to declare for Aquaterra (three bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade well spent), so the Bardic War Point went to Aquaterra as well, even if I didn't win it myself.

A wonderful fire dance, conversation and banter with fun people, and appearing in a pre-court reading/acting of The Elves and the Shoemaker... as the shoemaker's wife, while a girl played the shoemaker.

It was a great event, and it seems a real shame that it had to be ruined by a really bad monday.

No comments: