Friday, November 9, 2007

Grey's Anatomy

Zarth.

I was really, really, really hoping George and Izzie would work out. I didn't acknowledge even to myself how much I wanted them to work out until that last shot before the fade to black last night. Hopefully this is because my subconscious recognizes that it is a TV show, George and Izzie aren't real and there is no hidden message or divine guidance in the show meant for me.

Regardless, I was really upset and disappointed.

Usually when I've been disappointed with Grey's it has been because I wanted to walk onto the set with a piece of medical/rescue equipment and say, "No, THIS is how you do it!" Probably never more so than the episode with the pole through two people - sweet Azel, don't your rescue trucks carry hacksaws? We had several different ones on ours. Yeah, you might cut them a little bit, but it is your job as a paramedic/rescue tech to deliver the patient prone, supine, recumbent, or sitting. Walking may be acceptable in unusual cases, and babies may be carried/held by family members who are holding it together. Otherwise, no more than one patient to a stretcher.

All episode last night, I kept thinking: you're trying too hard. Which isn't really surprising, since they both, for their own reasons, really need this to have been the right choice. I kept hoping they'd relax, and it would be good. Maybe not great - great takes time, IME. But, good. Comforting, and healing. They both deserve some happiness after all they've been through. (Fiance dead, baby has cancer, father dead...)

And at the end, for a moment, they fooled me into thinking they had finally relaxed, and it had been good. That was a really incredible piece of acting by both of them, BTW - watch their expressions. The actors are playing someone who is trying very hard to act like it was great, but how it really was starts to leak through, and... it was terrible. And they're both crushed by the fact that it was terrible, even more than they were embarrassed about some of their prior experiments.

Well, we get an episode next week, and probably for a week or two after that. But with Shonda on strike (and I fully support Shonda's decision and respect it, but Zarth I want this season's story arc to get written, not dropped!), I have this horrible feeling we're going to get broken off with no clue what's going to happen.

Like Firefly, ending just as the arc was really starting. Like Crusade, ending right before the real arc started.

No comments: