Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Toast

My friends, to absent companions.

I wrote the verse below some years ago, remembering a day now nine years gone.

Some will be remembered. Some will be cut down.
Some among their comrades lie. Others all alone.
My friend is not remembered. Her name is on no wall.
No medal struck for her. No tales they'll ever tell.
But wherever tales of bravery are told,
And Heroes praised by name.
She ever will look down and smile;
Her deeds shall live with theirs.
At Meggido they will all stand tall.
Legend - unknown - side by side.
Rally to the single call:
Follow me!

2 comments:

Raising Them Jewish said...

Wow- this is a great poem. I hope that you're doing alright.

On another note- the other blog is for class. Just notes on assignments.

Gridley said...

Ah, that makes sense.

On the poem - yet more evidence for the "writes better poetry when depressed" theory. :-)