Monday, November 26, 2007

Tomorrow

Well, tomorrow if all goes according to plan I will sign the paperwork and do final inspection on the new house.

I'm having a hard time absorbing all the changes this is going to make. OK, I've moved before. Many times, in fact, and I've lived in my current apartment for over two years, which makes it the second-longest I've lived in one place since I moved to Pittsburgh in 1997. (Total of eight residences in that time, not counting the time I lived on a friend's floor for a couple of weeks, or intervals living at 'home' back in Boston.)
Maybe its the money? This is, by two orders of magnitude, the largest chunck of debt (that's how I view the mortgage) I've ever assumed.
Perhaps it is moving from the rent to own catagory of living.
Perhaps it is that I will be living in the sub-urbs again for the first time... since I moved to Pittsburgh in 1997.
Hmm. Sensing a pattern here.

Perhaps I've just been a wanderer, a short-timer, a person of no fixed address, for a decade and I've come to view it as the natural state of life. I've never had anything I couldn't move. A computer? No problem, pick it up and carry it. A big TV? Well, friends help you move (real friends help you move bodies.) A car? Heck, you can use that to move other things!

A house?

Er... not so much.

Land?

Well, pretty much by definition, no. Earthquakes have trouble upsetting surveyed land boundaries. Moving companies don't even answer questions about them.

No comments: