Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The True Measure of the TSA

Well folks, for anyone who had any doubts about the utility of the TSA, you can forget it.

Bad enough that over half of their own in-house testing succeeds in getting simulated explosives and weapons components through security.

Bad enough that the FAA's Red Team has a success rate of over 90% with real and simulated weapons and explosives.

But at least these are experts who are deliberately targeting the system's weak points. The system works just fine against amateurs, right?

Well, apparently, not so much.

CNN reports that a guy went through security at Ronald Reagan Airport near DC with a loaded firearm that he had forgotten he had. When he remembered, he went back to the checkpoint to report it (and was arrested). Perhaps the TSA agents were too busy making sure he didn't have a bottle of water, or a 6-once bottle of shampoo.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/23/airport.gun/index.html

Seriously, folks, what good is our airport security? They can't stop their own in-house inspectors. They can't stop the FAA Red Team. They can't prevent someone from ACCIDENTALLY bringing a firearm on board. No security is ever perfect, but is there any evidence that the TSA has even mildly inconvenienced any terrorists? This guy wasn't a terrorist, but if he had been... well, he'd have gotten on the plane with a sidearm. Probably not the end of the world in this day and age, where the odds are much better of him getting mobbed by the other passengers if he tried anything, and with a fairly good door between him and the cockpit. Of course by that argument no one should have a problem with me bringing a pocket knife aboard.

Yes, terrorists have been stopped. Exclusively, as far as I know, by intelligence work (informers, the infamous 'technical means', etc.), NOT by checkpoint security.

They're too busy taking away my 1.5 quart plastic bag with five 3oz personal care items in it (yes, they did).

4 comments:

Raising Them Jewish said...

I honestly believe that the best part of this story was that he did the right thing, and was arrested for it.

I truly believe, especially when it comes to airport security- you are better off NOT doing what they tell you and hoping you don't get caught, then you are following instructions.

I leave my mascara and my lipgloss in my purse. I leave my shampoo in my carry-on. Do you want to know how many times I have had them taken away... NEVER!

I have, however, watched countless people try to do the 'right thing' and have their things taken away...

Gridley said...

You know, in general I'm in favor of following all laws, even the stupid ones, because I don't trust most individuals to pick which laws are safe to disobey.

However, I agree with you. The TSA has passed the point at which they are worthy of my cooperation.

I used to not wear my steel-toed boots because I didn't want to create even the appearance of non-cooperation. Now I wear them and the TSA can waste everyone's time X-raying them looking for bottled water if they want.

Anonymous said...

It’s interesting that the TSA fired the screener at Reagan National Airport who let the passenger with the gun through security, yet they let police officers beat up passengers and keep their jobs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNmxZwhMag

Gridley said...

The TSA is nothing if not illogical.

Q: A TSA screener is faced with two passengers. A 20 year old male who is praying to Allah and carrying four electronic devices (none of which are turned on). An 80 year old female in a wheelchair with a 6-oz bottle of shampoo. Which one will they stop?

A: The 80 year old female. She's a security threat.