Monday, June 9, 2008

Death by Dieroll

I'm not going to do a fancy write up, but I did want to note that last night we had a death in the party. A PC, not a player, I should point out.

Keiros failed his Use Rope to attach himself to the safety line, failed his Balance check on the rope bridge, and failed his Reflex save to grab the rope. He thus fell into a 200 foot deep chasm and was never seen by the party again.

Technically and theoretically he could have survived the fall, and followed the river to its exit - I calculate the odds as about 1 in a trillion. Yes, I did the math.

Shortly thereafter we rescued a dwarf barbarian who seems trustworthy to join us in our noble quest. I'm sure that was a coincidence.

The DM attempted to kill our mule, but failed. He did, however, steal the mule, and we're very unlikely to get it back. The mule is a sore point between the DM and myself. Round 1 to him, on points.

Farewell Keiros, and enjoy that great kegger in the sky. If you were smart you drank your booze on the way down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As the GM, I would like to make a few notes, strictly OOC In the module as written, any fall into the chasm was indeed fatal. The setup was such that there was a high likelihood of someone falling in during the first assault.(For those parties unlucky enough to not have a dragon on hand to one-shot the guards) Therefore, I did a fairly obvious tweak to the dungeon(you'll figure it out by the time you finish the dungeon) such that falling into the chasm was not an auto-death, but would turn into a plot point. Ray was given the choice, without any details, and chose death. Just so you know that the chasm was made not quite as arbitrary as it seemed.
On the topic of the mule, mea culpa, I have an unreasoning dislike of baggage trains in D&D. But that mule, if it dies, will die honestly, and not by GM fiat.(I'm the GM, I can make the thing spontaneously explode, but that wouldn't be fair. Gridley's reasons for having a mule are reasonable and sound, and if this one dies he can get another ten just like it, so in a way we are evenly matched. Unless a mule plague sweeps the land.....) The party left the mule all alone where the orcs had to see it, fully loaded. How could they not take it? The party WILL have a fair chance to reacquire the bloody beast. By the by, What was on the mule when it was captured?
Chris

Gridley said...

The mule had a pack saddle, bit, and a number of days of feed equal to 7+ the number of days travel between the dungeon and the town. I believe that is 21 days.

I myself need to get over the double standard I often use of real life vs. D&D. D&D is the world where you can carry and be proficient with 20 different weapons, but can't tie your own shoes without a couple of tries. I need to keep in mind that Invoke Terrestrial Laws of Physics is an Epic-Level spell, as is Ability To Do Everyday Tasks.

BTW, yeah, our dragon cleared a path for us. My Spiritual Weapon combined with Baast's archery would have done so fairly quickly too.