Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Food Poisoning

So something I ate Friday... well, it didn't just disagree with me. It declared a crusade against my GI tract and was apparently conducting WMD research. Two hours after the initial offensive I realized it wasn't going to be over any time soon and dehydration was a serious risk, so I called for fire support.

In a very closely related note, I rode in the back of an ambulance as a patient for the first time.

It really gives one perspective; OK, the crew was a BLS crew, but I couldn't help mentally going "OK, you're going to ask me this, think this, decide this..." I wasn't terribly impressed by the medics.

The ER ran two liters of IV fluid into me (saline for both, I'm pretty sure - I was fairly out of it), and hit me with phenergan (antiemetic) and something else I didn't catch. When I was able to walk under my own power they turned me loose with a scrip for phenergan and advised me to go easy on my stomach for a few days.

Well, I'm still faintly nauseous, but it is getting better. Eating, however, it still something of a delicate process.

More and more I'm wishing someone would sell OTC IV fluid and nutrient sets for civilian use.

No comments: