Friday, May 2, 2008

Be the change

Be the change you want to see in the world.

It is a great sentiment, and even one that is good to apply in practice.

Sadly, it is a very large world.

Grey's Anatomy last night made me think (again!) about what I want in life. I've taken one action already, but it is a very large world, and it is quite possible nothing will come of it.

Part of the problem, I think, is that I'm too lawful. Too obediant to authority. My natural inclination is to respect authority and obey my chain of command, even when I think they're wrong.

This makes it rather difficult to be the change you want in the world.

Even with other people, I tend to be willing to bend myself more than I'm willing to ask others to bend for me. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, but again...

This makes it rather difficult to be the change you want in the world.

Back to Grey's for a moment, I really loved how Izzy was able to take George's un-invitation and turn it into something positive. "I'm their boss."

We have to accept change. Change is unending, massive, chaotic, and interwoven into our lives. Most of us, it seems to me, resist change at some instinctive level. Global Warming is bad because... it is a change, and change is bad. Change isn't natural, says the media. So it takes a lot of intertia to get your change rolling; once you do, you may be the leader of a mighty trend. But that first step is a doozy.

This makes it rather difficult to be the change you want in the world.

No comments: