Monday, May 19, 2008

Prince Caspian

Saturday I went to see Prince Caspain.

They messed with a lot of minor things, but nailed the core elements of the major plot points and stuck even closer to the spirit of the book.

I really liked how they went into more depth with the Telmarines; seeing the general and the lords have more depth made the story more real; less of a children's story and more of an adult work. Also, once again a scene implied in the book opens the movie and nicely sets the stage for character development.

The attack on the castle may not be cannon, but I thought it was a great sequence; use your advantages in combat!

However, one thing did keep bugging me for the second half of the movie. Every time I looked at Susan, I kept thinking, "Where is she getting makeup in Narnia?!" Well, Edmund had a flashlight, maybe Susan brought a case of makeup.

Countering this, major kudos go to those who worked on Reepicheep. I vividly remember hating what they did to him in the first set of live action films back in the 80's/90's. That set of adaptations wasn't anything much to begin with, but even so I remember Reepicheep and the serpent in The Silver Chair as low points.

It looks like the Dawntreader will sail in 2010; I'm already looking forward to it.

No comments: