Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0447166/

The original "The Gamers" was a hilarious romp through the world of fantasy gaming, with humor both clever in concept and brilliant in execution. If you've ever gamed in your life or seen it done, and you haven't seen it yet, SEE IT. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369445/ )

So when I found out there was going to be a sequel, I ordered it.

While Dorkness Rising is a good movie, it doesn't quite make it to the level of the original. The movie tries to introduce character development and depth; something the first movie lacked, but in my opinion didn't need. Is there excellent humor that makes my laugh three times that same night thinking about it? Yes, but it is more spread out than the original.

There are some great little touches as well - look for Mountain Doom, and a newbie player who finds a little bit of gaming bleeding into their real life.

I'm glad I've got the DVD, but I won't be dragging people in to see it as I sometimes do with The Gamers.

No comments: