Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hardened

I was reflecting the other day on the extent to which being in EMS hardened me. I used to get quesy at the sight of blood.

I'm still not happy at seeing mine, but...

Today, I went to the local clinic. The doctor decided he wanted a blood sample, and after taking my blood they gave me a granola bar. As I was on my way out, munching on the granola bar, I saw that a man had just come in with a towel wrapped around his hand. He was obviously in pain and had blood spray on his chest and arm. As I went past a nurse removed the towel, revealing a deep and still bleeding laceration & crush injury to the hand. I overheard the person with him say he'd gotten it smashed between two pallets while helping unload a truck.

And I? Well, I walked on by, munching on the granola and mentally estimating his probable blood loss.

I conclude from this that I either completely lack empathy for strangers, or that I'm immune to the sight of blood and broken bones. I hope and believe it is the latter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hardened is one word for it. Once something becomes commonplace, it loses a lot of it's "shock" power and becomes part of "routine". Once dealing with bad things is a "routine" part of a job, by neccessity you need to do the job. Sounds like that is what you did. Estimated the extent and types of damage to determine what needed to be done. In this case, you knew that the man was at the help he needed, and the only thing you could do would be to get in his way.

Gridley said...

I guess I was more upset by the lack of emotion rather than my ability to control it; does that make sense?