Monday, February 25, 2008

Meepo the Super Kobold

(Historical note: For the full text and score of The Ballad of Meepo, please see appendix B.)

It is dark as I write this - oh Shining One, grant that your servant Gridley may live to gaze upon you again!

Meepo led us to the local kobold Queen. Thistle persuaded the queen that we could recover the dragon the goblins had stolen from them. The Queen granted us Meepo as a guide, though at the time I felt he would be of little use. We rested for a day, and awoke with myself somewhat recovered from the rat's Filth Fever, which I was now able to recognize, but with Baast sickened. Although Kieros still felt healthy and I believe I have drained the worst of the poisons from his wounds, I expect him to sicken tomorrow, if we survive.

Meepo knew of a back way into the goblin-occupied portion of the ruins, although he said that no kobold had survived entering it. Leading the way he quickly discovered a pit trap, and was badly wounded in the fall. I pulled him out and healed him, a small kindness for which he was grateful then, and I am grateful now.

We soon came to a locked door. Thistle, now in the lead, picked the lock and opened the door, only to be hit by a pair of crossbow bolts and fall to the ground unconscious. Three goblins charged us, one being injured by Marclar and then finished off by Meepo. I rushed forward to heal Thistle, but lost my concentration and could not reach her immediately. Another goblin fell, and Meepo skewered the third as it attempted to retreat. I admit I had not thought he possessed the skill and strength to fight so well. I healed Thistle's wounds, worried that I had only my weakest spells remaining, and we went on.

Another hall, and behind one door we could hear the mutter of goblin conversation. Leaving Kieros to guard it, we checked the others and found one that was locked. Thinking this promising, Thistle picked the lock. Inside I glimpsed a tiny white dragon. While I knew it to be evil, I hoped to persuade it that going along with us was in its best interests, and foolishly I entered to speak to it. This did, however, save the rest of the party from the first blast of its icy breath.

A long and cold fight followed. Although we outnumbered the beast, we had great difficulty in subduing it. Finally, with all but Kieros injured and myself all but unconscious, we tied up the dragon. I used the last of my spells to staunch the worst of my wounds.

As I write this there is debate as to what course to take. Our injuries are many, and our spells few. We have the dragon we came for, but it seems imprudent to return to the Kobolds in our weakened state. I would use the two healing scrolls that remain, but they will not suffice to heal everyone, and they are my last reserve of magic.

No comments: