Friday, February 15, 2008

Prophetic Dreams

Since I actually seem to have generated some interest, I'll follow this up with a main post, not a comment.

In my first year at college I had three dreams in close succession. At that time I generally didn't remember my dreams even when I woke up, and the memory tended to fade rapidly. These three hung around.

The first and third I won't discuss in detail, save to say that while they closely mirrored events that happened to me later, it is arguable that those events were predictable, and my subconscious was trying to tell my conscious, "Hey, buddy, take a look at what's gonna happen if ya keep on like this."

The second was rather more disturbing.

I dreamed that I was doing CPR - chest compressions, to be precise. In that strange way dreams can impart information I knew it was someone that I knew, but not who it was. When I woke up in the morning I wrote it off to my new status as a First Responder with campus EMS, and left it alone. Later that day EMS was dispatched for a person with chest pain. I arrived on scene and found... someone I knew. He went into cardiac arrest shortly after we arrived.

OK, you're saying, coincidence. I find that unlikely. For one thing, that EMS squad got one cardiac arrest every few YEARS. Add in the fact that I'd been on campus less than a year at that point - what percentage of the population do you think I knew? Add in the chances that I'd be on duty (50% at best).

More importantly there's the character of the dream itself. In all three of the prophetic dreams, I was doing things. Talking, chest compressions, etc. Maybe not with good results, but they centered around me wanting to act and being able to act.

The lion's share of my dreams, well before then and to this day, center around me being UNABLE to speak, or run away, or act in some way.

Toss in the fact that except for a few flashback-type dreams I don't remember a single other dream I've had about emergency medicine.

I don't have an explanation for why I had those three dreams. Make of it what you will. Call them psychic vibrations or visions or prophecies or coincidences. I believe there are one or more powers in this universe that are not limited by the 'natural laws' science has worked out. Call it/them 'god(s)' if you like. I'm not sure what I believe about their natures or intentions, but I believe in them very firmly, and those three dreams are part of the reason.

No comments: