Thursday, October 30, 2008

All Hallow's Eve

Daily status: the DJI has dropped 1,615 points since the bailout passed on October 3rd. Your Federal tax dollars at work!

OK, so there are many things people think of on Halloween. Graveyards, candy, the Great Pumpkin, vampires, costume parties... the list is long.

I tend to think of two very different themes on October 31st; I'll call them "candy & costumes" and "spirits & souls."

"Candy & costumes" is pretty obvious, though the costumes I wear tend to be rather more authentic than most people's. In many cases they are old uniforms that I, or family members, used to wear for real; one year I wore my father's Army Dress Uniform during the day, then switched to fatigues for the athletic period. I think of this as the happy parts of halloween.

"Spirits & souls", though it may surprise you, has nothing to do with horror movies or scary stories. One of my favorite episodes of Babylon 5 is "Day of the Dead", and I think of Heather Alexander's "Samhain" a lot as well. Yes, we're a lot closer to the dead, but the dead aren't something to fear. Absent companions are closer (for most of us, at least), then dead enemies.

Two things I have no interest in are pranks and horror. Pranks because most of them show no originality and are simply destructive, horror because I've seen quite enough of that in real life and have no desire to seek it out in fiction.

And, for the record, I believe in The Great Pumpkin rather more than I believe in most religious figures.

No comments: