Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Answers, please!

Note: I plan to edit this post later today to add the DJI at closing.
Edit: Daily status: the DJI has dropped 1,544 points since the bailout passed on October 3rd. Your Federal tax dollars at work!

OK, to both Senator Obama AND Senator McCain; if you're not going to answer the questions, why are you bothering to have the debate?

I felt some excellent questions were asked last night, and very few of them were answered.

One in particular bothered me. Someone asked if we would intervene in the event that Iran attacked Israel. McCain said he wouldn't wait for the UN to act. I would have preferred a stronger and clearer statement, but I think that's clear enough. Obama, however, who said he'd be in favor of sending US troops in to prevent genocide in answer to a different question, never actually said he'd commit troops to defend Israel. Again, his answer was vague, but I got the strong sense that he'd talk first. Granted, "without taking military options off the table." But that sure doesn't sound like a 'yes, we'd send troops' to me.

If we have an ally in the middle east, its Israel. How can you even think of sending US troops to prevent genocide in a country that has no ties to the US and not automatically be ready to support an ally when it is attacked? How is genocide in a country we have no ties to worse than genocide inflicted by another country on our ally?

2 comments:

Toni said...

I also noticed that one viewer question wasn't even posed to Obama after being posed to McCain... when that 70 year old woman asked what kind of sacrifices Americans would be expected to make due to our financial crisis. McCain said - fewer government programs and Obama wasn't even asked! (Did I miss something I was listening to it in the car at the time driving through a static zone near my house so...)

Gridley said...

Actually the question was posed to him, and he kinda-sorta answered it. He identified some things that would require effort, though I wouldn't call any of them sacrifices.

http://2008election.procon.org/sourcefiles/Multi_pres20081007.pdf